Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Tagged!

I have been tagged! But, first: I have been neglectful.

I'm sure that most people who are familiar with the bloggings of bloggers around these parts (I refuse to say the word blogosphere) (damn) will be aware of the wonderful new book that has just come out, compiled by Peach, packed full of stories and excitement from the blogging community. (I like the phrase 'blogging community'. To me it conjures images of pasty-looking people sitting in circle in a draughty church hall, blinking at their laptops and reaching over occasionally to take a small bite of a curling cheese sandwich or a sip of tea, as a scrawled sign, flapping on the front doors, reads "Community Bloggers' Meeting: Tonight".)

I was very excited to find out that I am in the book, but in my excitement completely forgot to post about it. Oh, sure, I put a link on my sidebar, but that's not enough, is it? (No.)

So, if you haven't already, maybe you should buy it. It's all terribly worthwhile, what with it being for charity and everything.

Here it is!



Now. I have been tagged by the lovely Just Me. So here I go.

1) WHAT WAS I DOING TEN YEARS AGO?

This time ten years ago I was sixteen. I would have just finished my GCSE exams and be looking forward to going to Newquay to stay with nine of my school friends in a caravan for a week. My memories of that week are of a bizarre sense of freedom, of sunny days and seagulls looping overhead, vying for scattered chips and ice creams. Of boys in the adjoining caravan, one of whom wrote me a love poem. I pretended to find it hilarious and passed it around to my friends (O, cruelty thy name is teenage girls), but secretly I was very, very pleased. We ate many Pot Noodles and devised cocktails in our caravan before heading out to the bars, where we would dance and tease the poor boys foolish enough to think they were in with a chance. They might have had chances with the other girls but not with me, for I had a Boyfriend, whose name was George and who was (shock! horror!) twenty-two years old. I thought he was dreamy, but in retrospect he did wear cycling shorts.

2)WHAT ARE 5 THINGS ON LIST TO DO TODAY?

- Listen to the track for tonight's recording and write an extra verse.

- Send my address to Jo Divine.

- Work out whether and how to go to this festival in Brittany with my sister Impish Sophie.

- Plan weekend recording and things around them.

- Work out a plan for my Dad's birthday on Thursday.

3) THINGS I WOULD DO IF BILLIONAIRE

I would buy a recording studio. I would pay for musicians to work with and gig with. I would buy stuff for my family. I would go on a holiday. Buy a flat. Buy a big warehouse and turn it into cooperative housing. Pay somebody to run that. I would paint a mural on the side of the warehouse. Buy a music venue! Pay somebody to run that, as well. Clothes! Shoes! A pony!

Oh, yeah, and give money to charity. Ahem.

4) FIVE PLACES I HAVE LIVED
London
Leamington Spa
Paris
Hertfordshire
Dream Land (mainly)

5) THREE OF MY BAD HABITS
Anxiety
Inability to say no to stuff
Lack of organisation

6) FIVE JOBS I HAVE HAD
Singer
Children's entertainer
Banana packer
Outdoor events instructor
Office drone

7) HOW DID YOU NAME YOUR BLOG
I use humour as a defence mechanism and a way to keep people at a dista... No, I stole it from Friends. It is quite accurate, though. If I am nervous I make jokes. Nervous or worried. Actually it's more like if I am nervous, worried, hot, cold, depressed, happy, hungry or just awake.

8) NEED TO TAG 5 or 6 PEOPLE
Um. Jaywalker. Curly. Badass Geek. My sister.

Yeah, that's four. I am clearly a rebel.

9 Comments:

Blogger Badass Geek said...

Awesome! I've been tagged! I'll update today!

4:25 pm

 
Blogger justme said...

Nice post! Thank you for responding. I didn't tag 5 or 6 either!

5:18 pm

 
Blogger Clarissa said...

You lived in Leamington Spa!!!! When, how long, what for (and did you like it)?!!

6:38 pm

 
Blogger Léonie said...

BG - Cool, I look forward to reading it..

Just Me - Wow, we are both rebels. We should start a gang.

Clarissa - When I was studying at Warwick I lived in Leamington. I did like it, but that liking was very much based around commuting to Uni (in theory) every day. Why, have you lived there too?

9:44 am

 
Blogger Waffle said...

Hello Léonie and hello everybody else. I have done my homework. Thank you for tagging me! I feel loved. And also couldn't muster many people to tag. I am definitely not a rebel though. Oh no.

Your jokes are very good ones, so it is a Good Thing that you make them so much.

11:51 am

 
Blogger Curly said...

Is anyone else concerned with the lack of decent grammar and punctuation displayed by the question master? I am.

And Banana Packer? I think I worked as an apple-packer once, I'm assuming that a banana-packer does something similar.

4:45 pm

 
Blogger Léonie said...

JW - Hello! And I think I can safely speak for everyone else when I say: Hello!
Thank you for your tag completion. Who said memes died out in 2004?
Thank you for saying my jokes are good. You might like this one (told by comedian Steve Best in Brighton on Sunday night):

I bought a 1940s German Casio keyboard the other day! I was very excited at first, but when I got it home was very disappointed. Turned out it was a Nazi synthesizer.

Curly - You will appreciate that joke as well.

The grammar was indeed below par. I was going to correct it but realized just in time that doing that would make me look like a wanker, so I didn't.

Banana packing involved putting bananas in boxes, in a huge factory with rats and cockroaches and ex-cons. It was ace.

4:59 pm

 
Blogger Marianne said...

Good one, loved this. How long were you in Paris?

8:35 pm

 
Blogger Léonie said...

Marianne - Thanks. I was in Paris for about four/five months when I was eighteen (in my gap year). I would say it was probably the loneliest time of my life so far - I was too young and too shy to really make any friends, and finding myself without a support network and in a foreign city was overwhelming. I love Paris now, though, despite the fact that I have some bad memories of it. I am coming over in August, actually, to visit my sister!

1:47 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home