Monday, November 23, 2009

OPEN MIC, MANCHESTER! (Sorry for shouting)

Wah, I couldn't go to the party! Poor me. Sob, whinge, etc.

(Oh, grow up you over-sized infant.)

Please excuse the interminable whining of my last post, I was feeling Glum About Life, a life that contained nothing but shelter, food, love, clothing, art and a large packet of cheese and onion crisps. Oh, woe! How stricken I must have been, as you can imagine.

Today I was in Leeds again, which is similar in damp Northern cheer to Manchester. Although in Leeds everyone calls everyone else 'love', even grown men say it to other grown men. (Or so I have heard.) In Manchester people do say "thanks love", or "stop touching me or I'll bite ya love"*, but it is generally not something that straight, burly chaps say to one another at the pie shop/strip club/sports place.

*Interestingly, this was the first thing I heard anyone say after I left the house this morning. (It was not directed at me.)

Does anyone from Manchester read this? If so, would you like to come to a gig/open mic night this Wednesday, at the Thirsty Scholar? Unfortunately, this is the same night that some excellent poets are putting on their marvellous, poetry-orientated night called Inn Verse, so mine will be more musicky. I don't want to snaffle any of their potential performers. I would like just anyone to come and do whatever it is they enjoy doing on stage. Music, of course, is completely welcome, as is poetry, but I am also open to any other form of expression. Comedy, magic tricks, circus skills? Yes, yes and yes (provided nothing gets set on fire or cut in half). (I mean, you can set the room on fire, but the Health and Safety people really do prefer that you do it in a metaphorical way.)

What will I be doing? I hear you ask (although I heard it very faintly so it's possible I imagined it).

Well I will certainly be telling this joke:

Q. What do you call a racist, bigoted wizard?
A. Nick Griffindor.

When I told this to Ben he paused for a bit after I asked him the 'Q' bit, then said "um, Gandalf Hitler?", which is an excellent answer but loses points for being slightly less topical.

OPEN MIC, MANCHESTER, 25th NOVEMBER!

I am trying to get some Google hits.

OPEN MIC!

I don't think it helps to write it in capitals.

MANCHESTER!

But you never know.

WEDNESDAY 25TH NOVEMBER!

Well, I'm sure there are some people that know, but I don't.

THE THIRSTY SCHOLAR!

I just like feeling like I'm calling out to the Internet.

So, if you're around, come along. If it's more poetry you want, then head to Inn Verse. My night will incorporate more poetry again in 2010.

I hope to see you there. Oh, and if you're here through Google then HI! WELCOME!

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh! I forgot you're in Manchester - on the weekend of 6th Feb there's a heap of blog/twitter girls meeting up there for a big night out... can invite you to the event on FB and you can have a look see who's coming?

8:53 pm

 
Blogger Léonie said...

Ooh, yeah. I am Léonie Kate Higgins on Facebook. Was going to be all mysterious and anonymous about it but, really, is there any point nowadays?

9:56 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ok, have added you and will then send you an invite to the party!!

8:03 am

 
Blogger tomato said...

poop. am gonna miss your night again as I will be clothes swapping at same time as poetry listening to Maya Chowdhry's book launch thing at the Green Room.

It is very very close though, so once the clothes swap frenzy is over and poetry has been appreciated, I will toddle over your way if I can...I assume the circus shennanigans will be going on till late?

(secret identity: michelle)

4:56 pm

 
Blogger Miss Devylish said...

Sorry to miss your awesome open mic but considering the states are a bit far and we have this odd holiday called Thanksgiving I had to attend, due to Columbus and his arrogant overachieving or something to that effect, I was with family. However, I hope it was fantastic and I agree, Ben's answer to your joke was spot on and because I've been listening to this English podcast called Friday Night Comedy, I got it too! Yay for slow Americans! And you should yell more. I heard it all the way over here. ;) xo

7:18 pm

 
Blogger Ali*D said...

I was at the Manchester xmas markets, sorry! Not far from the Thirsty Scholar though. While you are in Manchester, I thoroughly recommend spending a few evenings at the markets, all wrapped up and sipping gluhwein, wandering round the various stalls. Definitely my favourite time of year.

9:32 pm

 
Blogger Truth be told said...

After another great night, truth be told are putting on another open mic event on the 25th of March 8pm until 11pm at the Sand bar 120, Grosvenor Street, Manchester M1 7HL. We will be doing something special at this up and coming open mic night so come down and enjoy yourself. Remember this is a FREE event.

http://www.facebook.com/truthbetoldopenmic?ref=ts&fref=ts

12:17 am

 
Blogger marko said...

Once your note and home loan are sold into the Trust, Freddie, Fannie, as well as the bank then EXCHANGE or CONVERT the note for US Bonds or Stocks. These testaments are then sold on the open market to nations like China, France, Russia, Japan, and so forth as Mortgage Backed Securities. Car Title Loans Chicago

10:39 am

 

Post a Comment

<< Home