Friday, March 31, 2006

Feast For Friday, And Other Things

So. It turns out that the male readers of this blog have a certain penchant for dungarees. Thing is, right, that I can sort of see what you mean. In a Fresh Prince of Bel Air, Sister Act II sort of a way they are cool. Rest assured that I would not look like that in a pair of dungarees, and it is for this reason as well as many others that I shall not be attempting to initiate a Dungaree Revival (although that would be a good song title for Sister Act II).

It is Friday, so we must feast in celebration.

Appetizer
Name 3 things that you think are strange.

1. Peaked woollen caps. I don't understand them. I am hoping that now the weather is warming up a bit all those silly girls will stop wearing them. They are horrible.

2. When people spit in the street. If I am taking 'strange' to mean 'really really disgusting', which I am for this one. Also for the last one. Spitting in the street and wearing nasty headwear are equally bad habits and should be made hanging offences.

3. People not being able to pronounce my name, even if I explain it to them over and over again. People have gone for years without managing to get it right. Three syllables, for some people apparently, is an insurmountable challenge that will puzzle them until their death beds. Which will be sooner than they think if they keep pronouncing my name wrong.


Soup
What was the last ceremony you attended?

I'm not sure.

My Dad's CBE ceremony? Although I didn't actually go to the ceremony, to be honest. The question isn't, however, 'What was the last ceremony you didn't attend?' so that doesn't count.

Although if that was the question it would be much easier. I didn't attend a ceremony just this morning.

Salad
What is one lesson you have learned in the past year?

I can't think of anything positive to write in this bit. I keep trying to think of good lessons but my cynicism keeps bubbling up. I am choosing, therefore, not to answer.

Main Course
Tell us about one of your childhood memories.

Once my sister Alex and I were walking to the post box around the corner from our house. In my mind's eye Alex was perhaps ten, so I would have been eight. It was summer, late afternoon. I think I was barefoot.

Alex was skipping, and with each skip she was jumping further and further into the air. Her face was turned towards me, her eyebrows raised and a huge grin on her face as she demonstrated to me how high she could skip. Each one higher than the last as I laughed in encouragement.

Then she skipped into a lamp post.

It was like a cartoon. "Boing!" and flat on the pavement.

I remember laughing, until she cried and had a nasty bruise on her head. Then I felt guilty for laughing and we went home.

Dessert
If you could extend any of the four seasons to be twice as long as normal, which season would you want to lengthen?

If I am taking Autumn to be warm and colourful, but sometimes crisp, then Autumn. If, however, I am more realistic and it is rainy with the odd sunny day, then I would choose Summer.

***

The CBT (cognitive behavioural therapy) was good. I liked my therapist, Sarah, and she said at the end of the session that she thought that CBT could really help me.

She said I had self-esteem problems. She said other things, too. Lots of things were said and it felt positive. Good. Only a little bit scary. I was open with her, and I felt relaxed and honest.

I am beginning to hope a little bit. Only a little bit, though. We're not quite ready to crack out the celebratory dungarees yet.

Tomorrow my sister Sophie (Paris-living, impish) is coming home as it is her twenty-first birthday. She has hired out a place and has invited lots of people to sing and play and DJ and things. My friend Lily will be tassel twirling. I will not be joining her. I will, however, be singing my own songs. I hope to get some photos and maybe a video clip on my website.

I'm looking forward to seeing Sophie, who will be getting a bus and a ferry with about eight friends today. I'm looking forward to seeing Alex (who, you will be relieved to know, has since recovered from the skipping/lamp post incident) and I am looking forward to the whole thing. I haven't decided what to wear, yet. I am thinking some sort of dungaree/peaked woollen cap combination. Perhaps I'll wear the cap sideways on.

One more thing before I go:

Googlers: You are my friends, too! I got the feeling that I had offended Mr/Mrs/Ms Anonymous Googler who commented. I don't want to dissuade the people who Google to get here from reading, it's just that I want the people who know that I would be uncomfortable knowing they read it to use some discretion, that's all. What a very tangled sentence that was. I can imagine language students having trouble with that one.

On that note I hope you all have a pretty and dungaree-filled weekend, and remember to watch out for lamp posts.

13 Comments:

Blogger Kelly said...

I was going to answer that childhood memory question with a story about how I one walked into a signpost and said "Sorry" before falling to the ground but I thought I would get more laughs from the story about how I tried to kill my brother with a boiled egg.

Happy dungaree filled weekend to you too. Hope the party is fun and you resonate to your hearts content!

11:56 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And I thought it was just me who found the peaked wooly beanie thing odd.

Glad the CBT went well. Hope you have a great weekend, and your sister has a top 21st.

2:30 pm

 
Blogger Huw said...

Sister Act 2 has already been made. It was called "Back In The habit".

Er. So I'm told.

2:37 pm

 
Blogger Léonie said...

Dancinfairy - I think being killed with an egg of any kind would be one of my least favourite ways to be killed. Because people would have to talk about it and then they'd have to say the word 'egg' and oh my GOD the post-death trauma would be too much for me to bear.

Ant - I am glad you are entertained. 'Dungaree-heavy'. Is a good phrase. Well done for coining that one.

Adirain - Thanks. I shall pass on your felicitations to my sister.

Huw - Sister Act 2: Back In The Habit is one of my favourite films of all time. Watching it makes me want to throw up with joy. I think A Dungaree Revival would be a good song title for it. Perhaps it's already in there! I'm just off to buy the DVD so I can scrutinize the extras.

3:00 pm

 
Blogger Huw said...

Ah yes. Of course you knew that already.

I don't skim read your posts for mentions of tassels, honest.

4:20 pm

 
Blogger Steve said...

A dungaree filled weekend to everyone!

The last ceremony I attended was my graduation at which I looked like complete tool in my "graduation hat"

It just doesn't fit my face shape a'right"

4:26 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's *mister* anonymous to you. I wasn't offended. I just thought I would allay any fears you might have on googling. On the other hand, since I wasn't the only person googling you (you suggest there were others), perhaps a dose of paranoia is appropriate.

btw, on dungarees, I'm reminded of a home improvement episode I once watched (yeah, yeah, so it was cheesy, but sometime you will watch anything when you're bored).

Jill is going for a job interview or something, and she says to tim, 'is this suit alright?' and tim says 'phwoar, it's dead sexy!' and jill says, 'ok, it's settled then, I'll wear something more formal so I can be taken seriously--like a skirt', and tim says, 'phwoar! that's sexy too!' so jill says, 'so there's basically nothing I can wear which won't arouse you?' and tim shrugs and says, 'well, yeah, basically.'

6:36 pm

 
Blogger Rigmor said...

You know? Some of your sentences could come straigt out of Douglas Adams' pen, I think! (That's meant as a positive thing, in case you weren't sure)

10:44 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm.... trying to twist my tongue around you (ooo-err matron!)

Seriously - I know both a "Lee-oh-knee" and a "lay-oh-knee". Both get offended if you pronounce it the other way...

12:36 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't really have a penchant for dungarees. I see the link from the first few letters to a certain kind of refuse, and I just can't get the images in my mind to stop.

Haven't seen you 'round my journal lately... stop by, I'm still there!

11:01 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not to be outdone, I own Sister Act 1 and 2. On VHS and DVD. I know, I know, I'm *that* cool.

11:53 am

 
Blogger h said...

Turned out I had a dungaree light weekend but well I still live in hope. No pointy hats or spitting for that matter.

I am rubbish at pronouncing peoples names together with the mis-pronouncers you know. At first I get it wrong in my head then try to recondition myself that wrong is right but it is perpetually tangled logical loops from then on. Pity us.

9:49 pm

 
Blogger Miss Devylish said...

I'm on the phone all day for work and leave msgs for my customers. They call back and ask for Angie, Inga, Eagle is my favorite.. but for some reason, can't understand I've said Angel.. nor do they believe that's my name. People..

However do you come up w/ your questions for your weekly feasts? Just curious. Love your sister story.. made me giggle.

How was the performing btw at your sister's thing?? Dying to hear about it!

11:45 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home