Friday, April 28, 2006

Friday Feastacular

Appetizer
On a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being highest, how polite are you?

I am polite, I think. I think courtesy is very important, and that there is no reason to be rude to anyone if they haven't done anything to merit impoliteness. I used to be too polite, shy and less willing to stick up for myself. Now I am less likely to hold back, and won't be overly polite if I feel it isn't merited.

Which perhaps puts me at a six.

Soup
What was the last thing that made you laugh out loud?

Just now, I think. We were in the kitchen at work and talking about moisturiser. Someone mentioned that perhaps an way to make moisturising more fun would be to smear some it on a window and just kind of rub across it until moisturised. And then did an impression of what that might look like. It was funny. Sounds perhaps peculiar, and it was, but funny nonetheless.

Salad
Who is your favorite cartoon character?

I don't know if I have one. Um... pass.

Main Course
Tell about the funniest teacher you ever had.

Funniest. Um. Tricky. We had a Religious Studies teacher at school who was hugely, hugely dizty. She had an odd, greying birdsnest of hair, from which there always seemed to be a single metal antenna sticking up into the air. Straight up, like it was channeling messages from some far reaching civilisation. Which would not have surprised anyone.

My prevailing memory of Mrs RSTeacher was (well, clearly not her name) the time when for, I think, four weeks consecutively, we as a class persuaded her that no, we had not seen the interesting and informative video about Gandhi, and that sounds fascinating could we please watch it now? Then we would proceed to mess around for an hour or however long it took while she would sit at the front, staring vacantly at the big screened TV-and-video-on-a-rollable-stand (that every secondary school is obliged to have two much coveted versions of). She would stop the tape every so often to ask us whether we were following and we would confidently announce that yes, we knew exactly what was going on. We would be perfectly able to demonstrate this because we'd watched it so many times, and she would turn back around and we would get back to messing around/writing notes/smoking crack/whatever we used to get up to at school.

Ah, good times indeed.

Dessert
Complete this sentence: I strongly believe that
______________________.

I strongly believe that success is all about tenacity and timing.

*******************************************************************

I walked for about 4km before 9am this morning. Not intentionally.

I have signed myself up for a number of workshops in the next few weeks, the first of which being on Sunday. They are through this thing called Sing Vocal Studio and the three I'm doing are Audition Technique for Musical Theatre ("Theeese are a fiyeeeew of my faaaaavourite..." etc), Jazz Improvisation and Song Writing. I'm also signing myself up for one in June entitled "How To Market Yourself As A Singer", which looks great.

The first of these being on Sunday I had to get the form and the cheque to the lady today, or I wouldn't be guaranteed a spot on the course. The only reason she had been holding a place for me up until now is because I have been calling her to talk about how I am very keen to be on the course and I will get the cheque to her and do I still have my place and I am so sorry, and she just wanted me to stop clogging up her line so agreed with everything I said.

I had thought that the address was one very near my Dad's office, so when I went back to my parents' house last night to have a family dinner (with all five of us) I planned to give it to my Dad to pop through the door.

Of course, upon closer inspection of the form it transpired that yes, that was the address of the actual course, but payment had to go to an address in West Hampstead.

Fine, I said. I'll magic it there. Oh, but then I remembered from my one-time obsessive Charmed watching that using magic for personal gain is a bad thing. So I put away my magical pony and, with a sigh, tried to work out how to do this by non-super-natural (I know that's a double negative, but just saying 'natural' didn't have the same effect) means.

I got up early and went before work. It would, I estimated, take me about twenty minutes from getting off the train and getting back on.

Oh, magical pony, where were you when I needed you?

It took me forty-five minutes of solid walking with a heavy bag, cold and cross and not-yet-caffeinated, to find the flat which was cunningly hidden away from the world in a most irritating manner.

This had better be fucking worth it, I thought furiously to myself as I posted the envelope. I stamped back to the tube with my getting-heavier-by-the-moment bag and made it to work a spectacular forty minutes late.

Despite this I am looking forward to the courses and the workshops. I like getting involved in things and meeting new people, and despite all this beginning to sound dangerously like a personal ad, I like new challenges. I think it'll be interesting and fun. Hey, I've done nipple tassel twirling, I can do anything (can't help thinking that this would elicit good responses from a personal ad).

I have a fun bank holiday weekend planned without too much stress in it. Tonight I am going out with People I Met On The Internet, which I am looking forward to lots, tomorrow I have to join Clapham Library so I can then join Barbican Music Library to use their facilities (read:illegally photocopy all their music, mwahahaha). Tomorrow night I'm out in central London with lots of fun people, and I plan on dressing up fancy-like and wearing heels. Then Sunday and Monday? Well, there's the workshop, but apart from that? Who knows?

I will sleep, put my A-string on my cello (please, no G-string jokes), record some of the songs that have been swirling around my brain for a while, and generally try to relax.

Have a good long weekend, those of you who are getting one. Those of you who aren't, we'll be thinking of you. Perhaps.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

the workshops sound cool, with free orienteering thrown in.

i havent got bank holiday off OR a pony...poor me

my word verification is 'pwmey'

8:44 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please think of me. I have two weddings being hosted at the hotel at which I work, which spells certain insanity.

10:41 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope you had a good weekend.

If we are going to talk about word verification, I've got povfrs, which is not nearly the best one I have had previously. Although I can't blame Léonie for that one.

12:44 am

 
Blogger Miss Devylish said...

I hope the classes are great! They sound very good for you. I'm thinking.. hm.. yup.. even w/ the 45 min out-of-the-way walk.. it's gonna be worth it. I feel it for ya girl. ;)

1:56 am

 

Post a Comment

<< Home