Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Of Studios And Boys

I arrived home last night from the studio at ten past one. I was shattered, but I had a great time. For hours we sat in the studio, creating a track. Starting work with a new producer is a bit like dating in that it takes a while to relax, for you both to work each other out, but if you have a spark it can feel really exciting. You both have to tap into each other's passions and methods to see whether they match, and if they do then it's partially the element of pure luck that is so thrilling. That, however, is probably where the analogy ends, because there is very little actual nakedness involved in studios. Well, not in my experience, anyway.

The track we're working on is more funk than jazz, with sweeping brass hooks and big fat bass lines. Vocally I am playing about with it, which feels a bit strange because for so long I have been trying to curb my 'showing off' instincts. and now they are being positively encouraged. The lyrics are very simplistic, as they often are in funk tracks, and they are also very dirty. Dirty! Me? I protested. But I am so innocent! How could I possibly sing things like that? (I secretly wanted to, of course, I was just trying to preserve my reputation) The upshot of it is that I am to practice at home and get good at singing about, like, sex and stuff, and then record them soon. If anyone has any tips on how to sing naughtily I would like very much to hear them.

Also this producer is trying to set me up on a blind date with his friend, who claims to have met me one time a few years ago. I, however, do not remember this meeting, which I am not taking as a very positive sign. Perhaps I was drunk, though, or maybe asleep, both of which would explain my memory loss. Whichever it was (and I rather hope it was the former) I seem to have made some kind of an impression ("she gets drunk, maybe she puts out lots", perhaps, or "her snoring is not so bad") on this person. Which is sort of nice.

I'm back in the studio on Thursday during the day, by which time I will have taught myself to sing all dirty-like. A bit like a Christina Aguilera might be if she had been brought up in the Home Counties. I will most likely wear more clothes than she does, and probably be considerably less internationally famous, but otherwise we have a lot in common and I plan on using those links to my maximum advantage.

11 Comments:

Blogger Betty said...

I have a sneaking suspicion that you know exactly how to sing dirty, you minx!

4:27 pm

 
Blogger Mary said...

hm, singing dirty funk lyrics? You could try imagining licking a big chocolate dildo? Perhaps chilli chocolate...

5:25 pm

 
Blogger Clarissa said...

tassle twirling but no dirty singing!

6:20 pm

 
Blogger lady miss marquise said...

I can't wait to hear the funky minx mix.

And I don't blame you, I am contemplating leaving my responsible well paying job and run away to work in a tattoo parlour.
I think you should follow your heart, and your rubber clad tattoed muse
x

8:07 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Would I have heard you on any other track? Or are you still finding your way throught the dirty lyric stage? Your job does sound very cool though!

12:05 am

 
Blogger Miss Behaving [badly] said...

Thank you for the link, I love your honest voice and your thinking aloud kind of style.
I can so relate. You are my little fix of London right now.
Great work - link added to HG.

6:51 am

 
Blogger David said...

I sure you can do 'filthy' ;-)

* Goes away wondering if maracas can be played suggestively*

8:25 am

 
Blogger Curly said...

For the filthy, but classy singing, Listen to plenty of LL Cool J.

Just be careful you don't go too far and start listening to Dr.Dre or Snoop, you (probably) don't want to go as far as calling your audience 'Bitches' or 'Hoes' and instructing them to perform sexual acts for you.

1:52 pm

 
Blogger Gordon said...

*pauses to ponder "she can play my maracas" line, decides against it*

Not sure if your voice could handle it, but when I think 'dirty' I always think 'husky'. Although that's maybe more 'erotically charged' than downright 'dirty' but it's a fine semantic line upon which we tread.

And no, I don't mean you need go all Bonnie Tyler on us..

3:48 pm

 
Blogger Ariel said...

Pretend you are wearing skimpy hot pants and sporting hair extensions that would put Jordan to shame and... go for it!

8:48 am

 
Blogger Miss Devylish said...

You can call me a bitch or a ho if that will help your creative process at all. No need to thank me.. I'm here to help!

8:29 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home